Background: An assignment given to us in class was to interview a friend about his/her thoughts about two essays we've read in class titled, "The Singer Solution to World Poverty," by Peter Singer and, "The Gift" by Ian Parker. After reading both papers heated debates and points were risen and now through this blog you can have the opinion of one of my classmates.
1) What do you define as a morally decent life?
To live a morally decent life is simply taking care of yourself & your family by respecting your fellow man. I also think that to live a morally decent life you have to give respect in order to gain it.
2) After reading both essays do you feel like you have an obligation or guilt to live a morally decent life?
No, after reading to what Singer had to say I felt disturbed and angry at his opinion. He had no reason to tell me what I should do with my money and how I should spend it. I bet if he was put in that situation then he wouldn’t have done what he advised.
3) After reading Singer’s essay do you have an increased awareness of how you spend your money or any differences in your decisions of personal management?
No, my feelings of how I spend my money are still the same and haven’t changed after reading his essay.
4) Who do you think has lived a morally decent life? Anyone famous like Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi, people who’ve fought for more than just poverty but human rights, justice and peace?
Yes, I believe that Gandhi has lived a morally decent life because he practiced self sacrifice. He gave up his time and effort to create a point to those that opposed him and tried his best to make a difference in so many people’s lives. He tried his best by sacrificing what he had to change the world and benefit his people. He was an all around type of hero. He was well educated and was a good husband. He fought to justify religion, harsh taxes, and simple rights to help improve everyone’s lifestyles.
5) When you say donating “efforts” what would you do specifically that could affect a great deal of people?
What I would do to help a great deal of people would be by going to that specific place and giving my time and effort to educate them. I would teach them morals and set up many community service projects.
No comments:
Post a Comment