Today in our literature circle we went straight into discussing deeper meanings and metaphors in the second book. We pretty much understood the meanings of the kikongan words, except for the term, kakakaka which meant to hurry up or a bathroom disorder. What we first talked about were the roles of the pygmies in the story. They are mentioned in the book although with a hidden purpose/significance. We imagined these pygmies to be somewhat of social outcasts or another midget tribe. Another topic we explored deeper into was the relationship with Methuselah and Adah. The question that was posed in the discussion was what was the role or importance of Methuselah. We noticed that Methuselah could be a metaphor as the Prices. Like the parrot the Prices are trapped in a way where they can’t fly at a 100% to escape the Congo. We decided and agreed that the story was a little more depressing especially since Kingsolver decided to end the second book with that final event of Methuselah’s death.
Another character we talked about was Ruth May because it’s a reoccurring event that she refers to snakes especially the Green Mumba (Deadliest Snake in the Congo). We talked about why she has this obsession and interest in such a threatening creature. It’s sort of terrifying to know she’s excited about this reptile because Ruth May is still such a young girl and it may be life threatening if she gets too involved with the Green Mumba.
Something that came up from the role of the New Critic was quite interesting. Reshley explained the group two quotes of which had significance. Reshley chose his quotes which related to the “hidden” struggle that the people of the Congo have to endure. First of all, the first quote helped envision the kikongans daily routine just to supply themselves with sanitary water. It was a hardship for them because they had to get water from a far away stream and then gather fire wood to boil the water in order to sanitize it. While on the other hand for the Price family it doesn’t really seem to explain what they have to go through in order to receive daily necessities. For the second quote, it talked about the games that the Price girls played compared to the games that Pascal’s tribe played. The names of the games could tell the difference, Mother May I and Hide & Seek compared to Find Food, Recognize Poisonwood & Build a House. The kikongon children it was just a game, but through the Price sister’s eyes they knew they were actually doing chores and difficult child labor.
As for the history of when this book takes place we learn that the Price’s are completely blinded to what’s going on in the world outside of the Congo. Since there are no radios or any source of communication to get the latest news the Price’s are unaware of the debates about the independence and salvation of the Congo. Politics visions for communism and debates on what’s best for the Congo compared to what’s good for the United States.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Gift
Trying To Find Mines
This video helped me realize all the possible things we can do in this life. Even though we may set our mind on one thing to help us become good at it, there's still a whole other world out there just waiting to be discovered. It's optimistic and that's what makes this video so inspiring. Even if our life may be facing its hardest times we have to take in the pain and look for a solution. "If you want something go get it," these two rappers Lyricks and Manifest send this message directly to all their listeners out there who want to be something. Their main point was at then end of the song they say, "...we've all been given talents, we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours and use it to glorify him, use it to encourage someone and make someone smile." This relates to my personal question, what is my personal best because it tells me how lucky I am to be given my own "gift." It only depends on how I use it which is the important thing. I have that choice of whether or not I want to develop that "gift" and share it to the world to help make it a better place. When I sayI want to discover my personal best, I'm referring to not just one subject, but to all the subjects possible in this world. Looking back at the last quote especially the line, "...we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours ..." it makes me wonder how do I even find what I could be good at. It's true that if I don't try everything I wouldn't I know if I'm good or not. This song in a less demanding way asks us and poses the question if we, as humans are obligated to find that "gift" God has consoled within us.
Just Like Me
This man, Allen Iverson, inspires me to keep trying to become who I want to be. He inspires me to try and continue to work and strive to make something out of what I've been born with. You work all your life with the attitude to be something better. To make a difference in this world that we live in. To turn peoples heads and just be unique, someone people want to be. If I want to achieve my personal best and discover my true potential I'm thinking I have to live by this attitude. He says in the video,"...by the end of my career I want to look myself in the mirror and know I did it my way." Which is exactly how I feel. I'm satisfied with who I am as a person. I don't want to be someone I'm not. That's why this world is so unique. It's filled with an array of different types of people. Allen also said another statement, "Always play with my heart. Always play like it's my last." which informs me he's someone who gives it his all with his imense passion and heart. When he says, "heart" he's talking about the will power to want something. That desire to obtain anything if it's a reputation or of an object. If I'm planning to reach my personal best I have to want whatever it is that bad. Whatever I've decided to head for in life I've got to never give up on it. Strive for it until I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment