During the first chapter of this book, “Exodus” what specifically was she trying to explain to the reader?
Pg. 392 Mama Boanda had given the Prices’ an egg what could have been the significance of that?
Pg. 393 As the family realizes that they’ve lost basically Nathan and Ruth May do they have any sympathy for the loss of their father and husband Nathan?
Pg. 394 Why does Leah always contradict herself? She talks about leaving the Congo for good, but what guilt does she have that the Congo reminds her of that makes her stay?
Why do you think this particular book was named Exodus? The following words I found in the thesaurus were mass departure, migration, emigration, flight and evacuation. What does moving have to do with the Price’s?
Why does Leah on pages 399-400 all of a sudden have very deep poetry when before we’ve noticed that Leah wasn’t a very poetic person, but now she kind of acts like Adah?
How come all of a sudden Kingsolver decides to make such a shift in time? The chapter being told on page 402 begins with Rachel Price Axelroot? Along with a place and date beneath it. Why does Kingsolver change her format of the titling of her chapters?
What significance is there for the saying that repeats, “Tell all the truth but tell it slant?” (Kingsolver 407&412).
When mother talks about Ruth May’s death does she in-turn choose another daughter to favor above the rest? Adah mentions that she might be that daughter on page 413 1st paragraph. Any thoughts?
The meaning of Exodus becomes clearer when referring back to the passage on page 414 2nd paragraph when Adah says, “Carry us, marry us, ferry us, bury us: those are our four ways to exodus, for now” (Kingsolver 414).
Adah brings up some important points on page 442. She discuses the religion of her family. “It crosses my mind that I may need a religion … her own brand of goddess” (Kingsolver 442). The main phrase I want to point out is really the statement, “Leah has one: her religion is the suffering” (Kingsolver 442).
Throughout the whole chapter of when the three sisters reunite do you think there is an alliance forming between the Leah and Adah against Rachel or has there always been that type of team? How have the sisters changed mentally and physically since the last time they’ve met?
Adah makes a sly remark what is the significance of the phrase, “Jesus is poisonwood…Here’s to the Minister of Poisonwood. And here’s to his five wives! … I don’t even try to understand” (Kingsolver 490). What specifically does Adah mean here’s to his five wives?
Why does Adah have a need to be “crooked again” like she was before? (Page 493)
What do you think about the italicized quotes that mother makes on page 495? To live is to be marked … You aren’t, he wasn’t” (Kingsolver 495).
What do you think about the metaphor also on page 495? “I know she is right … All the old injuries have been renamed…” (Kingsolver 495).
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Gift
Trying To Find Mines
This video helped me realize all the possible things we can do in this life. Even though we may set our mind on one thing to help us become good at it, there's still a whole other world out there just waiting to be discovered. It's optimistic and that's what makes this video so inspiring. Even if our life may be facing its hardest times we have to take in the pain and look for a solution. "If you want something go get it," these two rappers Lyricks and Manifest send this message directly to all their listeners out there who want to be something. Their main point was at then end of the song they say, "...we've all been given talents, we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours and use it to glorify him, use it to encourage someone and make someone smile." This relates to my personal question, what is my personal best because it tells me how lucky I am to be given my own "gift." It only depends on how I use it which is the important thing. I have that choice of whether or not I want to develop that "gift" and share it to the world to help make it a better place. When I sayI want to discover my personal best, I'm referring to not just one subject, but to all the subjects possible in this world. Looking back at the last quote especially the line, "...we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours ..." it makes me wonder how do I even find what I could be good at. It's true that if I don't try everything I wouldn't I know if I'm good or not. This song in a less demanding way asks us and poses the question if we, as humans are obligated to find that "gift" God has consoled within us.
Just Like Me
This man, Allen Iverson, inspires me to keep trying to become who I want to be. He inspires me to try and continue to work and strive to make something out of what I've been born with. You work all your life with the attitude to be something better. To make a difference in this world that we live in. To turn peoples heads and just be unique, someone people want to be. If I want to achieve my personal best and discover my true potential I'm thinking I have to live by this attitude. He says in the video,"...by the end of my career I want to look myself in the mirror and know I did it my way." Which is exactly how I feel. I'm satisfied with who I am as a person. I don't want to be someone I'm not. That's why this world is so unique. It's filled with an array of different types of people. Allen also said another statement, "Always play with my heart. Always play like it's my last." which informs me he's someone who gives it his all with his imense passion and heart. When he says, "heart" he's talking about the will power to want something. That desire to obtain anything if it's a reputation or of an object. If I'm planning to reach my personal best I have to want whatever it is that bad. Whatever I've decided to head for in life I've got to never give up on it. Strive for it until I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment