At one point in our lives I can guarantee that we all had our dreams of becoming a super hero. I had just finished watching an episode of the TV series, Smallville. In this particular episode it showed a brave soldier, Whitney who chose to work in the navy and risk his life on the line for his country in the heat of battle. This TV series, revolves not on this soldier, but instead on a character, Clark Kent who has the skills and abilities of Superman. Now this brave soldiers unit was ambushed and there were no survivors left. This soldier was a friend of Clark's. In this episode Clark battles a very dangerous enemy, Tina who has the ability to change her appearance and brute strength. In the end Clark puts up a magnificent fight and is victorious at the end of the battle. Contrasting to Whitney he notices that without his superpowers he would’ve been no match against Tina. Clark feels guilty because he sometimes wishes that other people could have his abilities of invulnerability. Whitney only had courage and was fearless as he put his life on the line to provide support and make a difference to better his country. It’s not that Clark doesn’t make a difference in the world because he still ensures the safety of Smallville, but he’s still thankful that he’s been given such a great responsibility and gift that sets him apart from everyone else. He reminds himself of how fortunate he is to be blessed with such a power because people not like him, people like Whitney aren’t bulletproof and don’t have talents that could save his life. Clark’s thankful and doesn’t take for granted what he’s been born with.
I take a step back from this movie and I analyze what’s happening. I get a lesson out of this episode that teaches me, you don’t have to have superpowers to be a hero. This relates to my personal question because in life we have so many opportunities so many things to be thankful for. You can think about it in two different ways that may to you share the same purpose, but to me they’re separate. Talents and abilities are what separate superheroes from humans or you could think of it in the opposite way. My opinion about this matter is that we’ve all been given skills and abilities, but the way you use them is what separates you from everyone else. Just like in the movie, Clark didn’t view himself any better or superior than Whitney. If anything Clark admired Whitney for his bravery and the thought that even though Whitney wasn’t bulletproof he still fought for what he believed was right regardless of the consequences. If I’m willing to be like Whitney or like Clark it’s up to me and my personal best to achieve any goal I set my mind to, because life could take a turn for the worst at anytime, so might as well live while we can.
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Gift
Trying To Find Mines
This video helped me realize all the possible things we can do in this life. Even though we may set our mind on one thing to help us become good at it, there's still a whole other world out there just waiting to be discovered. It's optimistic and that's what makes this video so inspiring. Even if our life may be facing its hardest times we have to take in the pain and look for a solution. "If you want something go get it," these two rappers Lyricks and Manifest send this message directly to all their listeners out there who want to be something. Their main point was at then end of the song they say, "...we've all been given talents, we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours and use it to glorify him, use it to encourage someone and make someone smile." This relates to my personal question, what is my personal best because it tells me how lucky I am to be given my own "gift." It only depends on how I use it which is the important thing. I have that choice of whether or not I want to develop that "gift" and share it to the world to help make it a better place. When I sayI want to discover my personal best, I'm referring to not just one subject, but to all the subjects possible in this world. Looking back at the last quote especially the line, "...we've all been given skills abilities some greater than others, but when you find yours ..." it makes me wonder how do I even find what I could be good at. It's true that if I don't try everything I wouldn't I know if I'm good or not. This song in a less demanding way asks us and poses the question if we, as humans are obligated to find that "gift" God has consoled within us.
Just Like Me
This man, Allen Iverson, inspires me to keep trying to become who I want to be. He inspires me to try and continue to work and strive to make something out of what I've been born with. You work all your life with the attitude to be something better. To make a difference in this world that we live in. To turn peoples heads and just be unique, someone people want to be. If I want to achieve my personal best and discover my true potential I'm thinking I have to live by this attitude. He says in the video,"...by the end of my career I want to look myself in the mirror and know I did it my way." Which is exactly how I feel. I'm satisfied with who I am as a person. I don't want to be someone I'm not. That's why this world is so unique. It's filled with an array of different types of people. Allen also said another statement, "Always play with my heart. Always play like it's my last." which informs me he's someone who gives it his all with his imense passion and heart. When he says, "heart" he's talking about the will power to want something. That desire to obtain anything if it's a reputation or of an object. If I'm planning to reach my personal best I have to want whatever it is that bad. Whatever I've decided to head for in life I've got to never give up on it. Strive for it until I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment